Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bishop!!!!


After Joe's Valley I began heading to Bishop CA.  This is a well known climbing mecca.  It is great for Bouldering, Owen's River Gorge has great sport climbing, and there are tons of areas to get on some gear and crack climb.  I headed here by myself knowing that I had some friends that would be dropping in for a few days throughout my stay.  I have been camping at the Pit campground for $2 a night I can find free camping, but this works just fine.  
View when I woke the first morning 

I went into town the first day to pick up a bouldering guidebook and found out they have run out everywhere even the publisher is out! Luckily a climber was in the shop and told me another shop down the street still had a couple of copies.  I headed over there to make sure one of those became mine.  I then headed to an area called the happies.  I found a boulder that had easy problems and was relatively low, so I wasn't afraid to climb without a spotter.  While climbing I met Danny who was taking a rest day and just hanging out with his friends.  He offered a spot which I gladly accepted and then climbed with him and his friends the rest of the afternoon.  He will also be here for the rest of the month. While climbing with them I met two other climbers and one happened to be the guy (another Danny) who told me about the guidebook.  It was a great way to start my stay here in Bishop.



The next day I was going to meet up with Benny a friend I met at Joe's Valley in the spring as well as Robert who I also met in Joe's and a bunch of their friends.  I had a great weekend getting to know the rock out here and getting worked super fast.  I was kind of getting frustrated because I was not making progress on grades I know I should be able to send and grades I know I have to work for were very difficult for me.  I also felt as though my hands were wearing out quickly.  On Monday, which was day four or five of climbing I joined two friends from the Pit Matt and Brandon and climbed at the Buttermilks.  We had a great day working V0 slabs, V2 high balls, which I was scared of the first time I came to Bishop, and V4 classics.  It was a great day and confirmed how much I really enjoy it here.
My hands after three days of climbing

The Prow V2 Highball (well Highball for me)


On Tuesday I said I was just going to climb easy and that I can totally control myself...haha yea right I think I climbed the hardest this day.  

Monkey Hang V3
I got Monkey hang V3 which, I could not climb the first time I came to Bishop.  Also climbed several other V3s and almost sent a V5.
Matt working Son of Claudius Rufus V5

I will be going back to get that V5! Such a fun problem.

Today is a rest day for me.  Enjoying a coffee, some internet time, and phone time.  Later I think I will be joining my friend Danny for a relaxing soak in the hot springs.  More to come as I will spend the rest of November here in Bishop CA.



No comments:

Post a Comment